It all started with a special request for my husband to build me a board that fits over my standard ironing board to make a larger surface for ironing large pieces of fabric, quilts, etc.
I requested a board 22" wide by 60" long, which he made for me to fit snuggly over the ironing board so it doesn't need any screws or knobs to hold it in place.
It was up to me to pad and cover it as I wished. I had several metres of this purple cotton striped fabric in my stash which I thought would work just fine. First I cut two layers of quilt batting (Warm & Natural cotton) and then the fabric. I used a staple gun all around the bottom to hold it tightly in place.
Then I decided all my other ironing tools needed a makeover as well. I have two small sleeve boards whose very worn vintage covers needed replacing and then I tackled my regular ironing board. I used the existing ironing board cover as a pattern and that worked very well.
It was only after recovering them all that I noticed that they even matched my new iron! I'm not a matchy-matchy person, but it does look nice.