Saturday, 8 August 2015

Ironing Board Makeover

It all started with a special request for my husband to build me a board that fits over my standard ironing board to make a larger surface for ironing large pieces of fabric, quilts, etc.

I requested a board 22" wide by 60" long, which he made for me to fit snuggly over the ironing board so it doesn't need any screws or knobs to hold it in place.

It was up to me to pad and cover it as I wished. I had several metres of this purple cotton striped fabric in my stash which I thought would work just fine. First I cut two layers of quilt batting (Warm & Natural cotton) and then the fabric. I used a staple gun all around the bottom to hold it tightly in place.

Then I decided all my other ironing tools needed a makeover as well. I have two small sleeve boards whose very worn vintage covers needed replacing and then I tackled my regular ironing board. I used the existing ironing board cover as a pattern and that worked very well.

It was only after recovering them all that I noticed that they even matched my new iron! I'm not a matchy-matchy person, but it does look nice.

Sunday, 24 May 2015

Craft Year 2015

2015 is Craft Year in Canada! Click on the picture above for more information. From the website: 

"Craft Year is a year-long, nation-wide festival aimed at promoting craft as a key player in Canadian Culture. The type of events we are looking for can include craft exhibitions, fairs, book launches, open houses, conferences, workshops, competitions, publications, community events and more. All events registered for Craft Year 2015 will be displayed here on our website for the whole world to see."

There are a lot of events listed on the page, but unfortunately they are not listed by province or date (other than by month). Check with your local craft council regarding events being held in your area. I attended a Pecha Kucha night on the theme of craft about a week ago. Most of the speakers were excellent and drew me in to their creative world whether they were blacksmiths, woodworkers, spinners or students!

Click on the photo above to read the Manifesto of all Citizens of Craft. If you are reading this page, then you are one too! Welcome aboard!

Sunday, 19 April 2015

Fabric Labels

Last week I had a sweet little package arrive in the mail! After trying a few things and a lot of stalling, I finally decided on getting some woven labels made up for my coiled items. I wanted some way to identify that "I made it" after it leaves my shop.

I'm pretty happy with how these turned out! I spent the weekend sewing them into most of my already made products and figuring out where the best placement of the label would be. In the future, I plan on sewing them in as I go.

If you are a Maker, do you label/sign your products? and if so, how do you do it?

Friday, 10 April 2015

WEST Handmade and Vintage Sale VII

The Winnipeg Etsy team sales keep getting better and better! And this one promises to be no exception to the rule. Follow along on the team blog or on the facebook event to see a preview of the great vendors that will be selling their wares at this year's spring sale. It's hard to believe it's only 3 weeks away!

Monday, 30 March 2015

Gypsy Bohemian Coiled Tote

Here are some pictures of my latest fabric coiled tote bag in progress.

It started in a very ordinary way, looking like one of my average sized coiled baskets.

Detail of the stitching.

But it kept growing bigger and bigger. Here it is looking a lot like a prairie landscape, which I quite like, and might just have to make another basket that ends here!

Still needs to be bigger, so adding more colours.... 

Checking out the placement for the straps with twill tape.

Deconstructing this old leather jacket for pieces to use for the straps.

And the finished bag!

It's available in my PrairieThreads Etsy shop for purchase here.

Saturday, 21 March 2015

Handmade Papermaking

I've been playing around with handmade paper lately, hoping to make some sheets nice enough to bind into some books.

It all starts with scraps of paper I save in a bin, including bits of maps. These get shredded with my paper shredder, and then soaked in water, at least overnight.

The buckets have different shades of the same colour, so it's unpredictable what colour the paper will be when finished.

Soaked paper is then run through the blender, to make pulp. Wet pulp is not very pretty, and surprisingly, maps end up a rather dull grey! I mixed this with the blue pulp and it turned out a lighter blue (see below).

The mold and deckle is slipped through the wet pulp to get some of the pulp to settle on the mesh screen.

I like recycling paper to make new paper because the results are more unpredictable, although you can buy premade cotton or abaca pulp to get started. For the above sheets and the green sheets below, I didn't process the pulp very long in the blender, so bits of paper and the odd inked letter remained in the pulp.

For the mustard yellow sheets, I processed the pulp for a longer time in the blender, resulting in a more uniform looking pulp.

I'm having fun experimenting. Stay tuned to see more paper experiments, and what I might decide to do with this paper!

Sunday, 8 March 2015

International Women's Day

It's International Women's Day today. The theme for 2015 is "Make It Happen." Let's join all women in encouraging the recognition of women in the workplace, the safety of women in the street and in their homes, and the power of choice over their own bodies and their own lives.

I'd like to also celebrate the uniqueness and beauty in every single woman and acknowledge that we are all strange and colourful in some way or another!

Saturday, 28 February 2015

On Sale

I've got a few items marked down 25-50% in my PrairiePeasant Etsy shop to clear out old stock and make room for new!